World of Waves: Technology and Innovation in Life, Earth and Physical Science
Ongoing | Ages 9-14 | $450/class (up to 30 students); $375 for add'l classes
The World of Waves STEM Workshop blends cutting-edge science, interactive technology, student-directed inquiry supporting the next generation of innovators, scientists and engineers. Driven by Colorado’s Academic Standards, as well as Next Generation Science Standards, this program incorporates 4th-8th grade content and learning focused on the fundamental role of waves in science, technology, innovation and CU research in three exciting classes:
Acoustics, Signals and Human Body Systems: This module focuses on the role of waves in human body systems through student-directed inquiry using modern medical technologies and explorations of the fundamental science behind sound waves and hearing.
Key Concepts: Sound Waves, Hearing, Wavelength, Frequency, Amplitude, Heart Rate
Making Waves in Earth Science: Focused on the role waves play in understanding the Earth System and plate tectonics, this module blends hands-on activities and fundamental physics with the development of key skills innovative people need.
Key Concepts: Seismic Waves, P and S Waves, Earthquakes, Engineering, Speed of Light
Electromagnetism, Technology and Innovation: This module blends opportunities for innovation with activities using thermal cameras, night vision, lasers and signals tied to the essential role electromagnetic waves play in 21st-century technologies.
Key Concepts: Electromagnetic Spectrum, Digital Signals, Thermal Energy
- STEM Workshops can accommodate one or up to three full classes (100 students).
- The Science Discovery team will arrive at your school the evening before, or early the morning of programs to set up an extensive set of teaching materials and activities
- The workshop can run in a single, or multiple classrooms
- Ideally, two and three-class workshops will have access to an auditorium or multipurpose room for a group introduction and wrap-up activities
- Programming can accommodate full-day and period-based schedules with three 45-75 minute classes
- Sample Schedule (75-minute classes):
- 9:00-9:30: Introduction
- 9:45-11:00: Class One
- 11:00-11:45: Lunch
- 11:45-1:00: Class Two
- 1:00-1:15: Break
- 1:15-2:30: Class Three
- 2:30-3:00: Wrap-Up
If you have any questions, or would like more information on bringing Science Discovery’s STEM Workshops to your school, please contact Hester Nadel at email@example.com or call 303-492-8640.