Teen Volunteer Program 2015
Science Discovery offers high school students volunteer opportunities assisting with science camp, community outreach events or behind-the-scenes administrative work. The STEM Crew volunteers are selected through a competitive application process.
These minimum requirements must be met by all applicants:
- STEM Crew applicants must be 14 years of age by May 1, 2015 and no older than a senior in high school.
- STEM Crew team members must provide a minimum of 75 hours of service from June 2015-August 2015. Most first-year volunteers will be utilized in our STEM summer camp program designed for students ages 5-13.
- STEM Crew team members must commit to scheduled shifts. Shifts will occur Monday through Friday for approximately 4-9 hours each day, based upon applicants availability.
- Upon being accepted into the program, STEM Crew members are required to submit a $100 tuition fee on or before May 1, 2015. This fee covers training, training materials, t-shirt, hat and a name badge. Minimal scholarship funding may be available in cases of dire need. Please contact Brian Jernigan via email for more information.
- First-year volunteers are required to attend a one day training session being held on Tuesday, May 5, 2015 from 4:30-8pm. Food and beverages will be provided. If a volunteer fails to attend the training session for any reason, they will be unable to participate during the 2015 season.
Expectations for STEM Crew Team Members:
- You are expected to arrive on time and prepared for each shift in which you are scheduled.
- You are required to adhere to the CU Science Discovery dress code policy, attendance policy and behavior policy.
- All cell phones are to be turned off and stowed during all volunteer hours.
- Volunteer opportunities with CU Science Discovery consists of working with CU instructors, graduate and undergraduate students, scientists, children ages 5-13 and parents. As such, professionalism is expected at all times.
The application process:
- Click here to complete the online application.
- Completed applications must be received by Sunday, March 22, 2015 for full consideration.
- Due to the limited number of volunteer spots and large number of applicants, not all applicants will receive an interview.
- Once your application has been received, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Interviews will take place in mid to late March.
- All applicants will be notified of their standing by April 1, 2015.
Please note: By applying to this program, teen volunteers and his/her parent or guardian are indicating the level of commitment as outlined above. In addition, if you cannot attend the May 5, 2015 training session, or if you will be unavailable for a significant amount of time over the summer (with the exception of school commitments), we ask that you do not apply this year.
If you have questions regarding the STEM Crew program requirements or application process, please contact Brian Jernigan via email.